Wrongful Death Lawyers Help Clients Navigate Murky Waters of BP Oil DisasterJuly 21, 2010
To date there are already over two hundred wrongful death suits filed against BP, Britain’s largest oil company and owners of the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig which exploded on April 20th killing 11 workers. The oil giant is responsible for perhaps the biggest environmental disaster since the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident in 1986.
Sources close to BP executives say the petroleum company is preparing itself for many more lawsuits to follow in the wake of the massive oil spill. Legal experts are expecting many additional individuals will hire a wrongful death lawyer and more suits will be filed including wrongful death and injury claims on behalf of the rig workers and their families, people directly exposed to the poisonous chemicals used to clear up the spill and those who have been affected by the harmful toxins in the oil itself. One wrongful death attorney has even filed suit on behalf of the wildlife and sea animals that have been left injured, dead and dying as a result of the massive amounts of oil spilling into the Gulf.
The Oil Pollution Act will govern the outcome of these cases as well as the mounting evidence of alleged negligence by BP that has already been brought to light and continues to capture the attention of an outraged and disbelieving public.
Damages presented in wrongful death lawsuits usually include the following:
• Medical expenses and aftercare costs
• Funeral and burial expenses
• Compensation for pain and suffering during any period of consciousness between the time of injury and death
• Losses suffered by the decedent’s spouse, children, or next of kin such as loss of financial support, loss of service, loss of gifts or gratuities, loss of parental training and guidance and loss of society and companionship.
A panel of judges is scheduled to convene in Boise, Idaho in July to rule on matters related to the lawsuits and lawsuits to consolidate.
Litigation will most likely be based on claims against both BP and all of the sub-contracting companies that worked with the multibillion dollar a year oil baron on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.
Hornberger & Brewer is considered one of the premier law firms in California. With multiple verdicts in the $20 to $30 million range their trial lawyers have a proven reputation for effectively connecting with juries. They are a reputable law firm that believes in representing their client’s best interest.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $33 Million verdict Wrongful death action against O.J. Simpson
- $19 Million verdict Malicious prosecution action against Chinese importers
- $6.8 Million verdict Business fraud & conversion case representing a Russian company
- $6.5 Million settlement Breach of contract action against multinational corporation resulting in a $6,500,000.00 settlement
- $5.3 Million verdict Business fraud and breach of contract case
- $4.7 Million verdict Wrongful death / Fraudulent transfer case representing both American and Ukrainian residents
- $4.7 Million settlement Liver Transplant case for wrongful death of Saudi Arabian citizen
- $3.1 Million binding arbitration Personal injury's head on collision
- $2.0 Million settlement Fraudulent transfer case
- $2.0 Million settlement Independent Sales Organization for alleged breach of contract claim
- $1.75 Million settlement Shareholder in connection with corporation shareholder dispute
- $1.5 Million settlement Fraud and breach of contract case
- $1.5 Million Judgment Breach of contract and defamation action resulting in default judgment collected
- $1.3 Million verdict Employment and breach of contract case
- $1.2 Million verdict Misappropriation of trade secrets and indemnity claim
- $1.0 Million settlement Employment termination and breach of contract case
© Copyright 2015 Brewer, LLP. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.