Personal Injury Lawsuits First Line of Defense Against Dangerous Prescription DrugsJuly 29, 2010
Litigation remains the first line of defense to prevent large pharmaceutical companies from marketing dangerous prescription drugs. Millions of people have suffered injury or death due to exposure from the unsafe ingredients in many popular prescription drugs.
Consumers recently were granted further protection from the harmful side effects of dangerous pharmaceuticals when the President signed NHPIRG into law. This drug safety bill was designed to keep the powerful pharmaceutical industry and lobbyists in check by requiring them to be more vigilant about the safety of their products.
As part of the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act, this bill not only alerts the public of products liability and restricts the sale of unsafe drugs like the pain reliever Vioxx, antidepressant Paxil and most recently Avandia, but it also holds pharmaceutical companies accountable for injuries or deaths caused by these drugs.
It is a powerful reality that we are reliant on litigation to keep such an important and vital industry honest; however, when the public’s safety is at risk from the all too prevalent scourges of greed and corruption, these issues must be faced with eyes wide open.
If litigation truly is the population’s first line of defense against the dangers some prescription medications present, then the benefits far outweigh the negatives in cases that hold pharmaceutical companies accountable for the chemicals they are putting out on today’s market.
Controversial drugs such as Rezulin, Lotronex, Propulsid, Redux, Pondimin, Duract, Seldane, Hismanal, Posicor and Raxar have been recalled or taken off of the market because of the success of personal injury or wrongful death lawsuits and as a result many lives have been saved.
We all need to be able to rely on safe and affordable medications to help keep us healthy. Knowing that a personal injury attorney is ready to act in a products liability case and will hold drug companies responsible for what they are selling is crucial for everyone’s peace of mind.
Hornberger & Brewer is a premier Southern California law firm specializing in Business Litigation, Personal Litigation, Eminent Domain, Credit Card Processing and Employment Law and has earned their reputation for being successful litigators who keep their clients best interest their highest priority.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $33 Million verdict Wrongful death action against O.J. Simpson
- $19 Million verdict Malicious prosecution action against Chinese importers
- $6.8 Million verdict Business fraud & conversion case representing a Russian company
- $6.5 Million settlement Breach of contract action against multinational corporation resulting in a $6,500,000.00 settlement
- $5.3 Million verdict Business fraud and breach of contract case
- $4.7 Million verdict Wrongful death / Fraudulent transfer case representing both American and Ukrainian residents
- $4.7 Million settlement Liver Transplant case for wrongful death of Saudi Arabian citizen
- $3.1 Million binding arbitration Personal injury's head on collision
- $2.0 Million settlement Fraudulent transfer case
- $2.0 Million settlement Independent Sales Organization for alleged breach of contract claim
- $1.75 Million settlement Shareholder in connection with corporation shareholder dispute
- $1.5 Million settlement Fraud and breach of contract case
- $1.5 Million Judgment Breach of contract and defamation action resulting in default judgment collected
- $1.3 Million verdict Employment and breach of contract case
- $1.2 Million verdict Misappropriation of trade secrets and indemnity claim
- $1.0 Million settlement Employment termination and breach of contract case
© Copyright 2015 Brewer, LLP. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.