Calif. bill would expand pesticide safety programApril 1, 2010
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – California’s 700,000 farmworkers may soon receive greater protection under a proposed expansion of the state’s nationally renowned pesticide safety program.
A bill moving through the state Assembly would require laboratories that test for pesticide poisoning to report their data directly to the state. Currently, labs report test results only to patients’ physicians.
Supporters say the measure would allow health officials in the nation’s largest agricultural state to more accurately track pesticide exposure and implement safety precautions.
State records for 2008 show California farmworkers handled more than 5 million pounds of pesticides containing chemicals known to cause infertility, nerve damage and other serious health effects.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $33 Million verdict Wrongful death action against O.J. Simpson
- $19 Million verdict Malicious prosecution action against Chinese importers
- $6.8 Million verdict Business fraud & conversion case representing a Russian company
- $6.5 Million settlement Breach of contract action against multinational corporation resulting in a $6,500,000.00 settlement
- $5.3 Million verdict Business fraud and breach of contract case
- $4.7 Million verdict Wrongful death / Fraudulent transfer case representing both American and Ukrainian residents
- $4.7 Million settlement Liver Transplant case for wrongful death of Saudi Arabian citizen
- $3.1 Million binding arbitration Personal injury's head on collision
- $2.0 Million settlement Fraudulent transfer case
- $2.0 Million settlement Independent Sales Organization for alleged breach of contract claim
- $1.75 Million settlement Shareholder in connection with corporation shareholder dispute
- $1.5 Million settlement Fraud and breach of contract case
- $1.5 Million Judgment Breach of contract and defamation action resulting in default judgment collected
- $1.3 Million verdict Employment and breach of contract case
- $1.2 Million verdict Misappropriation of trade secrets and indemnity claim
- $1.0 Million settlement Employment termination and breach of contract case
© Copyright 2015 Brewer, LLP. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.