Hidden Risks of Auto Accident InjuriesApril 6, 2011
Your heart is pounding. You’re scared and disoriented. You might even feel pain. And then you realize it: you’ve been in an automobile accident. Even a minor collision can leave you shaken up, but what you do next is critical to your health and well being.
First, never say you’re not injured; instead, say you’ll need to follow up with a doctor to check the severity of your injuries—and visit a doctor as soon as possible. If you don’t immediately feel pain, you may still have suffered injuries that will manifest later. Even low-impact collisions causing minor vehicle damage can cause lasting bodily injuries.
Whiplash, also called a cervical strain or sprain, is soft-tissue damage to the neck, and is the most common injury sustained in auto accidents. This injury most frequently occurs in rear-end collisions, but is typical of many collisions. A mere 5-mph sudden change in vehicle speed can cause whiplash, because the force of the collision moves the neck beyond its normal range of motion. Whiplash symptoms include neck pain, swelling, stiffness, and headaches, and they typically manifest within a few hours of the accident.
Unlike whiplash, many auto accident injuries can go undetected for days, months, or years. Damage to soft tissues, such as muscles, ligaments, and discs, may not cause immediate pain, but the damage heals with scar tissue. This can lead to some painful problems down the line, including chronic pain, disc degeneration, decreased range of motion, and degenerative arthritis. It’s difficult to gauge lasting auto accident injuries, which is why it’s so important to seek immediate medical evaluation.
If your auto accident left you injured, remember, the insurance companies want to settle your claim quickly while offering you as little monetary compensation as possible. Settling directly with the insurance companies is probably not in your best interests, because you may still be recovering from your injuries or you may not have been offered adequate damages for your pain and suffering. This is where an experienced auto accident attorney can help.
The auto accident attorneys at Hornberger & Brewer have years of experience on their side to manage your unique auto accident case. Our professional staff will fight for your rights after an auto accident and will work hard to earn you the compensation you deserve. Trust Hornberger & Brewer to ease you through this stressful time and help you come out on top.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $33 Million verdict Wrongful death action against O.J. Simpson
- $19 Million verdict Malicious prosecution action against Chinese importers
- $6.8 Million verdict Business fraud & conversion case representing a Russian company
- $6.5 Million settlement Breach of contract action against multinational corporation resulting in a $6,500,000.00 settlement
- $5.3 Million verdict Business fraud and breach of contract case
- $4.7 Million verdict Wrongful death / Fraudulent transfer case representing both American and Ukrainian residents
- $4.7 Million settlement Liver Transplant case for wrongful death of Saudi Arabian citizen
- $3.1 Million binding arbitration Personal injury's head on collision
- $2.0 Million settlement Fraudulent transfer case
- $2.0 Million settlement Independent Sales Organization for alleged breach of contract claim
- $1.75 Million settlement Shareholder in connection with corporation shareholder dispute
- $1.5 Million settlement Fraud and breach of contract case
- $1.5 Million Judgment Breach of contract and defamation action resulting in default judgment collected
- $1.3 Million verdict Employment and breach of contract case
- $1.2 Million verdict Misappropriation of trade secrets and indemnity claim
- $1.0 Million settlement Employment termination and breach of contract case
© Copyright 2015 Brewer, LLP. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.