Frankie Fook-lun Leung is Of Counsel to the firm and works out of the firm’s Los Angeles offices. Mr. Leung has practiced law in five jurisdictions since 1978 including England, Hong Kong, Australia and California. Since 1987 he has maintained a commercial and international practice with two multi-offices international law firms before leaving as a partner after 12 years to set up his current law practice in Los Angeles. At the present time, Mr. Leung’s practice focuses on investment strategies and advising multi-national corporations on their business strategies in setting up distributorships and other commercial entities in Asia.
He specializes in forming various forms of joint ventures in emerging markets and business planning for companies operating in Asia and the USA. Mr. Leung has represented numerous American companies doing business in foreign countries, particularly in the Pacific Rim regions and foreign enterprises and financial institutions in the USA, including the Bank of China in Los Angeles. He has also coordinated with lawyers in foreign jurisdictions in conducting litigation and arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Leung graduated with first class honors in psychology at the University of Hong Kong where he received the Y K Pao Scholarship and Swindon Prize. He has a masters degree from University of Birmingham England in 1974 where he received a traveling scholarship. Mr. Leung received a masters degree in Jurisprudence from Oxford University School of Jurisprudence in 1981 and was a visiting scholar at the Harvard Law School in 1983.
Mr. Leung has written six books and over 100 articles in both English and Chinese. He has lectured as an adjunct professor on international and comparative law at Stanford University, The University of Southern California, Loyola Law School and The University of Hong Kong Law School. He has given talks at over 50 universities, trade groups, think tanks and professional associations in Asia.
Mr. Leung is a member of the Pacific Council for International Policy and a member of their China committee. He is a member of the California State Bar and Los Angeles County Bar Association and previously served as a member in the international section of both bar associations. Mr. Leung served as a member of the board of directors of American Arbitration Association for three years between 1999 and 2002.
Mr. Leung speaks and writes Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), French and English. He is regularly interviewed on BBC, Bloomberg, Voice of America and media in Canada and Asia. He is a columnist in numerous media outlets in Asia, Europe and North America, such as the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Business Journal, Orange County Business Journal, New York Times, Hong Kong Economic Journal and the Columbia Journalism Review. He has established a net-work of business contacts in Asia, North America and Europe through his professional and investment advisory activities. Mr. Leung is a member of the Jonathan Club and a past President of its Toastmasters Group.
You may contact Mr. Leung via his e-mail at Frankieleunglaw@aol.com.
- Of Counsel
Areas of Practice:
- Business and Commercial
- Cross-border litigation and arbitration
- Multi-national corporations’ Asian business strategies and planning
- Intellectual Property Law in Asian Pacific countries
- College of Law, London (1977) Barrister at Law, England and Wales; 2nd Class Honors
- Oxford University, B.A. (1976), M.A. (1981) in Jurisprudence, 2nd Class Honors
- Birmingham University, Radcliffe Foundation Traveling Scholarship; M.Sc. in Clinical Psychology (1974)
- Hong Kong University, Y.K. Pao Scholarship and Swindon Book Prize; B.A. in Psychology (1972) 1st class Honors
- University of Southern California Law School, (1998 – 2003), Adjunct Professor in Chinese Law; Asia Pacific Institute, (2000 – 2001), Lecturer
- Stanford University School of Law, (1995); Lecturer in Chinese Law
- Pepperdine University, California, (1988); Adjunct Professor of Law, Chinese and International Law
- Loyola Law School, California, (1987 – 1999), Adjunct Professor of Law; Chinese and International Law
- University of East Asia, Macao, (1985 – 1986); Consulting Professor, Chinese Law Diploma Program
- Hong Kong University, (1984 – 1985); Part-time Lecturer, Chinese Law, Faculty of Law
- Lecturer, 40+ Universities and Professional Groups in China, Singapore, Oxford, Taiwan and Malaysia, (1987 – Present)
Academic & Professional Activities:
- American Arbitration, (1999 – 2002), Member, Board of Directors
- American Society of International Law, (1987 – Present); Hong Kong Correspondent for International Legal Materials
- American Society of International Law, (1987 – Present); Judge, Jessup Moot Court
- The Center for International Commercial Arbitration, California; (1987 to 2000), Member of Board of Directors
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, (1995); External Assessor on Business Law, Business School
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’s Central Policy Unit, (1998 – 2000); Overseas Advisory Member
- Hoover Institution, Stanford University, (1989 – 2010); Member of Board of Advisors, Hong Kong Project
- International Financial Law Review, (1984 through 1991); Hong Kong and China Correspondent
- Journal of Contemporary China, (1995 – 2000); Board of Advisors
- Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California (1992 – 2000); Co-Chair, Board of Advisors, Center for Asian Business
- Pepperdine University Law School, (2000 – 2001); Judge, Moot Court
- State Bar of California, (1989 – 1992); Member of Executive Committee, International Section
- Los Angeles Country Bar of California, (2007 – 2009); Member of Executive Committee, International Section; Senior Lawyers Section (2011 – Present)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Member, State Bar of California 1987-Present
- Barrister and Solicitor, Victoria, Australia 1983
- Barrister of Law, England and Wales, 1977; Hong Kong, 1978
Verdicts & Settlements
- $33 Million verdict Wrongful death action against O.J. Simpson
- $19 Million verdict Malicious prosecution action against Chinese importers
- $6.8 Million verdict Business fraud & conversion case representing a Russian company
- $6.5 Million settlement Breach of contract action against multinational corporation resulting in a $6,500,000.00 settlement
- $5.3 Million verdict Business fraud and breach of contract case
- $4.7 Million verdict Wrongful death / Fraudulent transfer case representing both American and Ukrainian residents
- $4.7 Million settlement Liver Transplant case for wrongful death of Saudi Arabian citizen
- $3.1 Million binding arbitration Personal injury's head on collision
- $2.0 Million settlement Fraudulent transfer case
- $2.0 Million settlement Independent Sales Organization for alleged breach of contract claim
- $1.75 Million settlement Shareholder in connection with corporation shareholder dispute
- $1.5 Million settlement Fraud and breach of contract case
- $1.5 Million Judgment Breach of contract and defamation action resulting in default judgment collected
- $1.3 Million verdict Employment and breach of contract case
- $1.2 Million verdict Misappropriation of trade secrets and indemnity claim
- $1.0 Million settlement Employment termination and breach of contract case
© Copyright 2015 Brewer, LLP. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.